Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
WTF... I feel sorry for the officer, honestly... he sounded like a Good Joe, but I an convinced the incident is a result of poor training. Good training, poor training... no training, your liable and responsible for every round that leaves the barrel, gotta own it.

EB

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
11B - feel sorry for the officer are you serious?
I feel sorry for the guy that got shot.
I feel sorry for his friends and family that almost lost him.
Thank God this was caught on video. Who knows
what the cops VERSION of the story would have been.

The cop calls it in as an accidental discharge (his version of what happened).
He fired his gun TWICE. How do you accidentally fire your gun TWICE?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Things like this should never happen of course-- but it's just a sign of just how little training some officers receive.

One trainer I worked with really emphasized keeping the finger far away from the trigger if you're in a ready position. Not just along the frame but high enough to the point the finger was on the ejection port (!). His reasoning is that with a disarm attempt, or if you're nervous out of your mind, adrenaline can make your whole fist seize up and your finger could slip onto the trigger.

I didn't believe him at first but seeing negligent discharges like this makes me think twice about where to put my trigger finger.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

Not to mention that the cop fired before the guy ever got the bike stopped. It also says the cop had his finger on the trigger when he drew his weapon. We all know the only time you do that, (finger on trigger) is when you "INTEND" to fire/shoot what your pointing at.

I hope who ever it was recieved a 8 digit settlement.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Comeon guys !

That could easily be me or you behind the trigger !

Was it unintended ?

Yes !

Was it unnecessary ?

Yes !

But, it happens !

I think we can all agree on the fact that he should not have had his finger inside the t/g ... Yet !

Reactions: NWGlocker

·
Registered
158 Posts
Twice? I never picked up on that. So the cop shot him twice? I need to go back to the video. It appeared to be a single sympathetic response.

From what I saw the cop didnt intend on shooting him, but that doesnt matter, the guy got shot.

I do feel sorry for the cop, and for the biker. And for a million other things that happen in this universe.

Of course, its easy to be a backyard quarterback when none of us were there.

EB

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Anyone interested in learning about police shootings (by any definition including what happened in the OP), check out this article. Excellent reading and worth sticking with it.

One quote: "A study of all firearms discharges in federal agencies (FBI, DEA, ATF) from 2000-2003 found that out of 267 total discharges, 102 of them were accidental discharges. Weapon handling skills and discipline are universally lacking."

Dynamics of Police Shootings | Active Response Training

My main point of all this is that it's too bad that many police agencies just don't have enough resources to get officers better training

·
Registered
158 Posts
My main point of all this is that it's too bad that many police agencies just don't have enough resources to get officers better training
My point exactly. Not a cop bashing statement, but... there is the common misconception that someone that earned a badge automagically is a good shooter, and that is simply not the case.

From time to time, we have had an LEO come shoot USPSA with us, for the experience I guess.. they shoot rookie level. I presume ego is dented and they dont return, I have no idea... but mostly, the run of the mill LEO doesnt get the necessary training *or* experience to be a reasonable shooter.

I do wish it were not so, these are the people we trust to protect us and they deserve better.

EB

·
Registered
329 Posts

Yeah, seems like the first one touched off would have let him know he was screwing up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stress and poor training.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It appeared to be a single sympathetic response. EB
One of those terms that just doesn't seem to fit the circumstance. No wonder some have difficulty with the English language. Thank goodness it wasn't an unsympathetic response. [ Yes ... I realize you did use the term correctly. Just one of those odd phrases.]

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

You don't pull the trigger twice in accidental discharge.......His trigger pull was intentional. Trigger happy he was/IS. ---OR---he intended to bury his mistake......

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm sure that department teaches Master Grip at the academy, but who knows what happened, except his finger was on the trigger at that point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All over a small bag of illegal drugs which the m/c rider tosses when he pushed his wheel off the paved highway!

In any hoot about the discharge. I believe it had much to do with the adrenaline rush caused by the pursuit which increased his threat level that prompted him to place his finger on the trigger causing decreased trigger pressure. I wholeheartedly must say to my fellow LE professional one question:
"What's the hurry?"
You have the subject stopped and the situation is currently under control under your point of gun. Relax, take a breath and WAIT for additional manpower so you can SAFELY bring the situation to a close w/o further incident. Another wards, slow down and follow procedure. There is a good possibility that your focus on the stop would have resulted in the drug arrest.
Second observation is the initial stop officer FAILED to properly search the wounded motorist for weapons which could have proven to be a fatal mistake for not only him but for other responding back up officers. The initial stop officer again failed to follow procedure and let his personal feeling run astray with rendering medical assistance to the gunshot victim. (I am a firm believer in using cuffs on all persons in similar situations like this where the subject has not been properly searched for weapons - including all cases where a person has been either shot, stabbed or even unconscious as no one will every questioned your decision to protect yourself or other LE)

Lastly, I cannot see any reason why a LE profession would draw his firearm without substantial probable cause to believe he is in fear of serious bodily injury or death. As far as I could tell as I only watched the video, this was only a traffic stop that evolved into a pursuit. No reason to get overly excited or overreact.

Remain cool, calm and professional at all times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
BTW - I base my above reply to this post based on 30+ years of LE experience which includes being a State certified FTO, firearms instructor and many other titles to list here.
I do not claim to know everything, but I know enough street wise tactics to just about guarantee that everyone on my team will safely make home at the end of the shift.
I am not a member of any dept's breakfast club that reviews incidents the morning after during administrative meetings.
Lastly, as I was not on the scene or know the full facts that led to this vehicle stop, I am only pointing out what appears to be flaws with the actual video.
It's easy to critique another persons flaws. But most importantly, it is vital to constantly train and critique mistakes so they don't happen in the field.
I must add that he was a pretty good shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
What would the use of a manual safety have made? What happened with the one million ND’s since the Glock was introduced? Has anybody thought about that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts