Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the announcement of glock doing away with compensated models. I just bought a 19c today which is my second C model. I had a 23c before and loved it, but I'm a 9mm guy so I switched. Personally I think the C models are the best self defense handgun ever created and find it hard to believe they're gone from the market. Dispute my statement with personal experience of a c model failing you where a non c would not.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
First I've heard of Glock discontinuing the compensated models... I don't think they ever made 4th gen Glocks with compensated barrels, but I thought they still made the 3rd gen compensated models...

Where did you see the announcement?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the announcement of glock doing away with compensated models. I just bought a 19c today which is my second C model. I had a 23c before and loved it, but I'm a 9mm guy so I switched. Personally I think the C models are the best self defense handgun ever created and find it hard to believe they're gone from the market. Dispute my statement with personal experience of a c model failing you where a non c would not.
I think for the most part the consumer determines what Glock produces. If the C models had sold better they would not discontinue them.

A compensated pistol is appropriate for competition use, but there are significant drawbacks to using one for self defense. A compensated gun produces considerably more muzzle flash vs its non-compensated counterpart. This can be blinding if fired in the dark of night. Also, the recoil of 9mm is easy to control. I don't really see the need for a compensator in this caliber. Since the nature of a compensator is to direct gas upward (thus reducing recoil) it also spews hot unburnt powder and residue out with that gas. And to top it off they are louder than a non-compensated model.

I'm glad you like your C models and hope they serve you well, but I would respectfully disagree with your assessment of them as an ideal self defense choice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will agree with you that the c model are a bit louder at the shooters ear than the non c's, especially when fired indoors, but all gunfire is deafening to some degree with ear muffs or not. so I really don't see the down side of potentially having to shoot a mag or two at the most through a c model with no plugs in a self defense situation. Your ears are going to be ringing and you'll have some slight hearing loss, c model or not.

The "significant" muzzle flash is actually a myth. In low light the muzzle flash is no brighter or more blinding than the muzzle flash of a non c model, it just looks cooler :cool:. Especially if you are shooting premium hallow points, that generally use powders designed to produce a lower flash signature than standard range/ball ammo.

Yeah I guess you could burn yourself if you fire on a person right on top of you and have the ports pointed at you, but its just a burn. Not a big potential threat in my book, a revolver would do the same thing to you cause the cylinder gap, and we've been using those for self defense for over 100 years.

I really see zero downside to these guns. Yes 9mm is easy to control but I guarantee that if you shoot a mag off as fast as you can (which is what you'd do in a self defense situation) with a non c, and then a c model, You absolutely will have more hits or a tighter group with the c model. With no extra training. That's why it's a good competition gun after all right? I don't see how more accurate follow up shots is more important to some people in a competition than it is when it comes to saving your life...

JB I've seen one compensated gen4 23 on this forum or another. It had gills too :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
First I've heard of Glock discontinuing the compensated models... I don't think they ever made 4th gen Glocks with compensated barrels, but I thought they still made the 3rd gen compensated models...

Where did you see the announcement?
_jb,

I can confirm that the "C" models are being discontinued. I like getting the occassional bit of information early every once in awhile so I cannot reveal my source but it is probably about as solid as it can be. I have owed several "C" models before but do not currently own one. I am now passively looking to come across a good deal on a 19C to have in my collection.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
_jb,

I can confirm that the "C" models are being discontinued. I like getting the occassional bit of information early every once in awhile so I cannot reveal my source but it is probably about as solid as it can be. I have owed several "C" models before but do not currently own one. I am now passively looking to come across a good deal on a 19C to have in my collection.
FWIW they are also discontinuing 20/21 NON short frame models. So you will only be able to buy 20sf and 21sf. Although I don't feel that is as big of a deal as all c models going away.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
_jb,

Thanks for the info...

Tell the Chief that I said hi... :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
When a model is discontinued we all want one. I'm guessing it will be like the
OD frames, the G17 long slides. Glock seems to produce some of them every
few years, and when they do, the price goes up about $50.00, but we keep on
paying!

·
Registered
154 Posts
FWIW they are also discontinuing 20/21 NON short frame models. So you will only be able to buy 20sf and 21sf. Although I don't feel that is as big of a deal as all c models going away.
Wait, so they are discontinuing the G20 Gen 4?

If that's true, I might have to re-arrange my wish list a little...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wait, so they are discontinuing the G20 Gen 4?

If that's true, I might have to re-arrange my wish list a little...
No. They are discontinuing all NON sf glock 20/21's. you will still be able to buy a 20/21 short frame. Since the gen4's are all multiple back strap I think they're considered short frame out of the box. So I'm gonna take that as this change will only effect gen3 models. The wording of glocks statement is kinda vague. But it sounds like even you big handed guys will still be able to get your "long frame" fix. It'll just have to be in the flavor of a gen4. New at least.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.