Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It burns up the old thatch and I think the ash is supposed to be good for your lawn. I just don't know how to control the burn and don't want to burn the neighbors yard or my house. I'd rather use a company that knows what they are doing if I can find one.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Right now I'd love to be somewhere it do grow. Came to CO in 91 from Miami. If my kids weren't here I'd be in GA where it's at least a little warmer. -19 this a.m. high of 27. Freakin' Calgon take me away.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My old neighbor (when I lived in your town) used to do this every year. His lawn was like carpet. We used to take off our shoes and walk in it just because it was so nice.

IIRC he used to just use an old Bic lighter to ignite it but would soak down the area (with a water hose) around the edges of the property line and up against the house, etc. He would just stand outside with the hose and watch to make sure it didn't get out of hand.

I would LOVE to do this but with kids and dogs it would be a disaster as they would inevitably walk in it and track it in the house.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
IIRC he used to just use an old Bic lighter to ignite it but would soak down the area (with a water hose) around the edges of the property line and up against the house, etc. He would just stand outside with the hose and watch to make sure it didn't get out of hand.
Hmm...that sounds easy enough. I think I will try doing it one small patch at a time (maybe 10' x 10' or something like that) and not have the whole lawn on fire. I've never seen anyone in the subdivision doing it and I don't know if they want to and the HOA said no. I don't believe I'll ask permission before doing it. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Tell them it wasn't intentional. Tell them someone threw out a cig in your yard as they drove past. It ignited the whole thing and you couldn't get it under control before your entire lawn was consumed. lol.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL, Vol! I just spoke to my lawn service and they don't do the burning, but the tech I spoke to does his yard every other year and said that he would come show me how to do mine. So, around the end of March, it's gonna burn baby burn.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have Bermuda Grass in my backyard here in NM, it grows OK, I just need to keep better care of it. I have kinds neglected it due to the ir Farce trying to send me and my family overseas 2 times so far in the last 9 months. Hopefully we get some stability and I can take good care of it this summer. Not sure about burning, my wood privacy fence might become a victim!!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
A few years ago our son "burned the Bermuda" unintentionaly! Trying to get rid of toilet paper which his friends had placed in the trees and shrubbery during the night, (called "rolling the yard", in the south) while my wife and I were out of town, he torched the toilet paper with a grill lighter. It got rid of the toilet paper, Bermuda, Azaleas, and pine needle mulch and upset a lot of neighbors! The fire department was not really thrilled about his plan and questioned me about why we left a 24 year old kid home alone! :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I will always eat free food ... but mostly just like giving you a hard time. I'll let you help the Chief man the grill at my annual get together this year.
When he is on the grill, I only get to hold the grill tools.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.