Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about this stuff all over the internet, and hearing about it from different people I run in to. I am an old fashioned kind of guy and dont really get it. So you pretty much just clean your glock with this stuff and it lubes your firearm as your cleaning? It would take me about 5 minutes to clean and lube if that were true. Is this product worth a try or no? Im a hoppes man for 30 plus years and dont really see any reason to change but if this break free clp product does what ive read and heard i might make the switch. Any first hand experiences?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
welcome to the forum :)

i just started using CLP about 2 weeks ago myself, not being into "fancy" lubes either lol

once you clean your gun, the cleaning chemicals evaporate, and leave behind the lubricant and protectant. i like it so far, so i'll keep using it.

besides, it's what glock actually recommends (as well as NATO and the US army) ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I have been reading about this stuff all over the internet, and hearing about it from different people I run in to. I am an old fashioned kind of guy and dont really get it. So you pretty much just clean your glock with this stuff and it lubes your firearm as your cleaning? It would take me about 5 minutes to clean and lube if that were true. Is this product worth a try or no? Im a hoppes man for 30 plus years and dont really see any reason to change but if this break free clp product does what ive read and heard i might make the switch. Any first hand experiences?
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums, Mr.Knickerbopper!

I have been using Hoppes #9 also, but have grown tired of the smell and would like to use something less toxic. I'll always keep some Hoppes around for tough jobs...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I recently switched from Hoppes No. 9 after hearing my wife bitch about the smell for the last 20 years. . . I discovered Hoppes Elite cleaner which has NO smell and does a BETTER job cleaning than either CLP or No. 9 and leaves no residues behind. It's only 5 or 6 dollars at WalMart and comes in a pump spray bottle. . . .after using Hoppes Elite, I just lube with Breakfree CLP. I wish I'd discovered this stuff earlier in our marriage. . . .:)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I recently switched from Hoppes No. 9 after hearing my wife bitch about the smell for the last 20 years. . . I discovered Hoppes Elite cleaner which has NO smell and does a BETTER job cleaning than either CLP or No. 9 and leaves no residues behind. It's only 5 or 6 dollars at WalMart and comes in a pump spray bottle. . . .after using Hoppes Elite, I just lube with Breakfree CLP. I wish I'd discovered this stuff earlier in our marriage. . . .:)
thanx for the review on the hoppes elite. i often wondered about that stuff.

i recently started using the CLP for bore cleaning after using stinky hoppes 9 since i was a kid. sure smells a lot better, and i can't tell the difference in which cleans better.

so, i'll keep using the CLP--no stink, or a need to lube the bore to prevent flash rusting after i clean it, as the CLP takes care of that :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am also an "old-school" convert to Break Free CLP. I still have all the old standbys in the cleaning kit, but the CLP seems to be doing the job just fine!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have some of the Break Free but only use it occasionally. Nothing wrong with it but nothing magical either.

I still do most of my cleaning with Hoppe's #9. Then I spray all the metal parts down with Eezox and let them sit for approx half a beer then wipe them down. Re-assemble, lube, and move on.

I honestly think most people put too much worry in cleaning & lubing. In general people tend to clean their weapons too much and lube them too little. They spend more time fretting over "which is best" than they do using the actual product or shooting the firearm in question. I've fallen into that trap myself at times.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We use Break Free CLP at my PD. More so because it's simple to use as it cleans and lubricates all in one. At home I prefer Outers Odorless Bore Clean. Then I lubricate with Tetra Gun Grease. Break Free CLP still has an odor to me. Have not used Hoppes or Shooter's in a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Good information here. Glad the OP brought it up, and welcome to the forum Mr. Knickerbopper!

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I have used clp for years. It is all we used in the military unless you were going to a cold weather environment. That in mind I would not recommend clp for use in cold environments. Only due to experience in the military. We were told and had it demonstrated to us that after exposure to cold (what some would say is extreme cold think sub zero) for a long period of time (hours) and the lube could freeze in the weapon.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I have used clp for years. It is all we used in the military unless you were going to a cold weather environment. That in mind I would not recommend clp for use in cold environments. Only due to experience in the military. We were told and had it demonstrated to us that after exposure to cold (what some would say is extreme cold think sub zero) for a long period of time (hours) and the lube could freeze in the weapon.
Good info. Thanks. Glad to know if I ever lose my mind and go somewhere really cold. Anything under about 50 is too cold for me. I hate winter. LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all! I just wasnt sure if this product was a viable lubricant to use on the "sweet spot" and slide rails etc. Im always conscious about trying or using any new products on my firearms, Im too broke to have someone give me bad advice and it hinder my weapon. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Army used BreakFree CLP in the 80's when I was in, and I still use it to this day. My firearms are all rust free and preform perfectly and some I've had over 30 yrs.
good to hear, as i just started using it, and am always overly cautious about switching to a new lubricant lol

heck, i used marvel mystery oil to clean and lube them for years. worked great too.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Army used BreakFree CLP in the 80's when I was in, and I still use it to this day. My firearms are all rust free and preform perfectly and some I've had over 30 yrs.
Did when I was in to. I can remember the label on the containers. We got it in containers about the size of a jug of anti-freeze. Maybe they have sense changed though I don't know

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yep! Been there, done that! Still doing it. I like breakfree but would not object to trying anything I thought was better.
Also, my wife was not patient enought to bitch about Hoppes for 20 years. 6 months? Maybe!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did when I was in to. I can remember the label on the containers. We got it in containers about the size of a jug of anti-freeze. Maybe they have sense changed though I don't know
Wow SF, you just brought back a few memories of coming back from the field and breaking out those jugs of CLP.

I still use CLP for all my weapons and place a few drops before leaving for the range. It is my go to cleaner.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.