Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, so much for the "one caliber shooter". Just picked up this brand new Glock for competition. Serial prefix SWE, red label, test fire date 4/10/12. After taking the virgin pics, I fired 50 rounds of 180 gr Remington UMC, with absolutely no malfunctions. No spent cases off the top of my head-- not that ever seemed to be an issue for this caliber.

Switched to the also brand new KKM .40 conversion barrel and shot another 50 rounds of Blazer Brass. No extra lube-- just what was already on the gun. The only single hiccup was the very first round. I inserted my magazine with the slide locked open, tried to rack the slide closed, and the nose of the first cartridge hung up on the feed ramp. I locked the slide open, removed the mag then reinserted. Closed smoothly. After that-- not a single problem. Reloaded magazines multiple times and tried both racking, and using the slide stop lever methods to close the action-- all great. Accuracy was just fine for me-- at 25 yards I put 4 out of 5 shots in the head zone of an IDPA target, 2-hand freestyle...

Overall, I'm loving it! The recoil from the Remington isn't too bad, but it looks like the load is relatively light. Looking forward to GSSF-- going to use this for Heavy Metal and with the .40 cal barrel, Master Unlimited. For the pics below, I digitally wiped the serial number out, other than that there are no mods to the pics.

Field strip. I was glad to see the front sight has a screw mount and not that old stake-in.

Lots of copper lube in this one, more than what I remember for my G17

Trigger bar stamp 4256-1

Interesting how the barrel already has that little wear streak from the two test rounds from the factory-- not a problem of course. Not sure what that metal sliver is from-- maybe the case?

Virgin KKM barrel

Last but not least. The fit seems pretty good. No Dremel required!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know much about 10mm. I've never owned one so I'm curious, that barrel lets you shoot .40 or 10mm? Wouldn't the mag have to be converted too?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about 10mm. I've never owned one so I'm curious, that barrel lets you shoot .40 or 10mm? Wouldn't the mag have to be converted too?
Different barrels for different calibers, but the .40 cartridges seem to work fine in the original Glock 10 mm magazines. I haven't looked if there are any aftermarket magazines though. Since the cartridge lengths are different I can imagine there might be issues, we'll see what happens over time.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It's the old .357 mag vs. .38 spl thing. Both the .40 and 10 mm are EXACTLY the same diameter the case length is the only difference. From everything I have seen in the past there should be no problems with feed unless it's a stubby thin walled jacketed hollow point and then you may experience hang ups at the ramp. I haven't had the opportunity to mic out the magazine top throat of the 10 mm vs. the .40 so I can't address that. If in the future you find rounds doing a high angle jam or even straight up and being caught by the slide then you may well have mag issues. From your report thus far it appears to be a mute point. Please keep us posted. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Congrats! "She's a beaut', Clark!"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats! I picked up my 20SF last Friday, it was also test fired on April10th and has SWE as a prefix...
This is kind of funny. I just picked up a 20SF today with a test fire date of April 10th and it also has SWE as the prefix. It's like finding family you didn't know you had.....

My slide had some metal flakes in it as well. The copper lube made me stop and think. This is my first new Glock, so I had never seen it before.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is kind of funny. I just picked up a 20SF today with a test fire date of April 10th and it also has SWE as the prefix. It's like finding family you didn't know you had.....
... just as long as I'm not the crazy, illigitemate 1/2 cousin...

It's the old .357 mag vs. .38 spl thing. Both the .40 and 10 mm are EXACTLY the same diameter the case length is the only difference. From everything I have seen in the past there should be no problems with feed unless it's a stubby thin walled jacketed hollow point and then you may experience hang ups at the ramp. I haven't had the opportunity to mic out the magazine top throat of the 10 mm vs. the .40 so I can't address that. If in the future you find rounds doing a high angle jam or even straight up and being caught by the slide then you may well have mag issues. From your report thus far it appears to be a mute point. Please keep us posted. Happy shooting!
Let me know if you do get the micrometer out--- curious to know what's the diff between the two types of magazines!

·
Registered
45 Posts
... just as long as I'm not the crazy, illigitemate 1/2 cousin...
I keep thinking of the Tom Hanks movie, Splash...

"No, just me and the moron twins."
"We're not twins."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.