Glock Pro Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Bowling pins are a product of the devil himself. They stand there with their evil faces and dare you to shoot them. When you do shoot and miss, they laugh at you. When you do hit them, they just lay there like an ex wife with a smirk on her face. When you shoot again and hit, they spin in circles in defiance. When you finally do hit them and knock them off the the table, they put a curse you you so that you can't hit their friends. When that last one does fall from the table, it's two seconds after the person you were shooting against.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bowling pins are a product of the devil himself. They stand there with their evil faces and dare you to shoot them. When you do shoot and miss, they laugh at you. When you do hit them, they just lay there like an ex wife wife a smirk on her face. When you shot again and hit, they spin in circles in defiance. When you finally do hit them and knock them off the the table, they put a curse you you so that you can't hit their friends. When that last one does fall from the table, it's two seconds after the person you were shooting against.
Yes ... I'd say that sums it up precisely.

·
Banned
509 Posts
I have been shooting in bowling pin matches since 1978, including the old Second Chance matches 1989-93. I shoot pins currently in Chester, NH (I live in VT) in better weather months (April-Oct). Now that the old Second Chance (Central Lake, MI) are back, I will start making the June commute to northern MI. I wrote a book about pin shooting back in 1991. This is Mitchell Ota here in Hartford, VT.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Careful....I saw multiple ricochets shooting pins, including one in .45 cal, that hit me in the head. (No damage, just scared the crap out of me). I quit for that reason.
FT:cool:
If shooters would refrain from shooting underpowered ammo, there would be far less ricochets. For .45 ACP, I wouldn't use factory hardball (too slow).

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Chief Range Safety Officer at our local gun club has banned bowling pin use at our club. This was a BIG disappointment to our members who have been shooting pins for years with no mishaps.

·
Registered
569 Posts
One of the gun store/ranges about sixty miles south of me now has monthly bowling pin matches during the summer. This year they added PCC (pistol caliber carbines) to the matches. I shot my first one back in October with my Beretta CX4 storm. The pins didn’t laugh at me this time.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Ricochets are caused by ignorant shooters who use .45 ACP target ammo or hardball ammo on bowling pins. No ricochets with my bowling pin ammo - a 255gr SWC at 880 FPS.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I spoke with a guy who used to be involved in organized pin shoots. I asked about ricochet issues. He said that his only experience was with “illegal pins”. He went on to say that approved bowling league pins were supposed to be manufactured to specific sizes and weights to be legal for use in sanctioned bowling leagues.

Seems that some ally owners were trying to be sneaky with cheaper quality non compliant pins. They would drill out the bottoms and fill the hole with a piece of rebar or lead to adjust the weight. If the alley owner was caught by the league using any of these pins in a tournament, all scores were supposed to be thrown out and the tournament had to be re-done.

A simple inspection of the pins would be all that was needed to verify a pin to be safe to shoot.

Since our ban of use of pins at my club, the match directors have gotten creative in an act of defiance. We now have steel plates cut and painted to look like bowling pins that are similar size and sit on small platforms with pegs driven into the ground. When they get hit, they fall. CRSO approved that, but wood pins are a no-no.

·
Banned
509 Posts
I've shot bowling matches for many years. Typically two table layouts 1) 4x8 flat table pins spaced approx 1 ft apart, at 1 ft from front of table. 2) 2 tier table with 3 pins centered on table and 2 pins 24" above on the outside of the rest.

Table is placed at 25' from a starting position with shooter starting from a low ready.

Best reliable PF to take them of the table as 200-210. Anything less gave a higher percentage chance of a ricochet or bounce back from a pin or the table itself.

Original Second Chance Rules were to shoot 4 or 5 times and drop worst time. Object was to clear the table not just knock them over.
There is a new big Pin Shoot in Central Lake, MI.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts