Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Classic JHP

Votes: 4 17.4%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys prefer for Self Defense rounds Bonded or Classic JHP? What Brands do you recommend?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Initially I was a Classic JHP fan, Federal Hydra-ShocK to be exact. But since I've found out about Bonded Ammunition I like the Winchester PDX-1. I'm still a fan of Federal HS but I have a sweet spot for PDX-1 and bonded ammo.

I would like to get my hands on some Winchester Ranger T's or SXT's whatever. They used to be know as Black Talons. Slightly different round but definitely hold a lot of the same characteristics.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I like the bonded. Gold dot is fine Ranger is fine but I am liking what I am seeing from testing of the Critical Defense round more than most others.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The bonded rounds do seem nice, let's petition Federal to make bonded hydra-shoks, that would put everybody out of business. Unless the bonding makes the scary looking post at the center less effective, but I doubt it.
I have some of the critical defense rounds for my wife's Bersa .380, I didn't even know they were bonded. I'll surely be getting critical defense for my Glock 20 soon.

·
None
1,525 Posts
The bonded rounds do seem nice, let's petition Federal to make bonded hydra-shoks, that would put everybody out of business. Unless the bonding makes the scary looking post at the center less effective, but I doubt it.
I have some of the critical defense rounds for my wife's Bersa .380, I didn't even know they were bonded. I'll surely be getting critical defense for my Glock 20 soon.
My understanding was that the Hydrashock was going away in favor of the HST.

My previous agency issued Hydrashocks but was switching to HSTs as I was leaving to come to the SO; so, I didn't swap my rounds out.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I carry 147gr bonded Rangers but there are many other carry rounds I would be happy with.

Rangers
HSTs
Gold Dots
Golden Sabers
Black Hills

There are prob others I am fogetting but these are all rounds I wouldn't hesitate to carry.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Another vote for bonded. I'm using a lot of PDX1 also. I do still have some Hydra-Shok for my .380, but when ever possible it's bonded.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I normally carry HSTs, Gold Dots for my 45ACP and GAP. I also recently picked up some 9mm Bonded Ranger Ts +P+. :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Have Rangers, Gold Dot but also like PDX1.

·
Registered
252 Posts
After shooting a few PDX1's (40 S&W) into an old ham, I'm convinced they'll do the trick. They moved and removed a lot of meat. Having a butcher as a friend really comes in handy sometimes when you wanna test a round in some flesh.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought a bunch of Winchester Ranger Bonded 9mm a while back and carry it in all my pistols. In addition to being selected by the FBI, the ballistics back up the decision to go bonded!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bet my life on Hornady Critical Defense. Depending on type of garment I am wearing; .45acp, .38spl or .380acp; the ballistics are highly in favor of this round for expansion if going through heavy clothing.

"... you don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive!"

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I liked the Golden Sabers until I watched one hit a watermelon. I was very UN-impressed.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
You can not buy Black Talons new anymore.I stock piled a bunch of 10mm Black Talons and I also have some for my 9mm's.
I went through and sold a bunch. 44mag. 10mm, and 9mm. Got a real nice price out of them on GB when the ammo crunch was going on. But I had been sitting on them for awhile. If someone is wanting Black talon ammo try looking on Gunbroker.com last time I looked people still had some posted on there for sale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.