Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am just starting to learn about guns. taking my ccw class next weekend, i havent purchased a gun yet.(looking at a Glock 19 ) . my wife and my big concern is being safe while my grandkids are around 1-1/2 , 2-1/2, 7, years old...looking at biometric gun safes on the internet...tell me about them, what do i need to look for ... is this a good deal for me so that the gun is still accessible quickly if i do need it. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I went with a similar safe but I do not use the biometric version. Here is the one I went with;

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/multi-multi-deluxe.html

I like these safes for a bedside safe. I have a larger safe for the majority of my firearms but these smaller safes allow me to secure my daily carry and bedside firearms while still being able to have relatively quick access to them, without needing to fumble with a key. I bolted mine to the floor in an easily accessible spot in the bedroom, and I also store a key for my bedroom shotgun. The shotgun has a keylock on the trigger to keep it safe from the children as well.

With these Gun Vault safes, you can access them quickly in complete darkness, giving you access to your firearm (s) when needed but keeping them out of the reach of little hands. Typically, I put my firearm on in the morning and take it off at bedtime, so mine is really just used for overnight storage. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,030 Posts
Biometric gun safes are usually based on the owners fingerprints. There is no key or pass card to lose and they are difficult for anyone but the owner to open. Here's a link to one company that offers biometric gun safes:

http://www.gunsafes.com/Biometric-Gun-Safe.html

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Keep in mind, you program it to read your finger (s). If you work with your hands and have any possibility of scraping up your hands or getting tons of gunk on them, it could potentially cause issues reading your finger when you need to get the safe open. This happened to a friend of mine.

Reactions: __jb

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Keep in mind, you program it to read your finger (s). If you work with your hands and have any possibility of scraping up your hands or getting tons of gunk on them, it could potentially cause issues reading your finger when you need to get the safe open. This happened to a friend of mine.
good point. that would suck if you have your own blood on your hands, and your trying to reach your guns to save your life, and the safe won't open!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would not go with a bio metric safe. I worked for an agency that would you would have to use biometrics to get in and out of the "main gate". A conservative estimate is 30% of the time it would not work. You would have to place your finger in the exact same way every time to get it to work. I don't know about you, but, if I had to access something like that in an emergency, I know I would be nervous and the adrenaline would be flowing. You are better off with something that used a key pad and had a key for a back up.

·
Super Moderator
7,030 Posts
Excellent point!

It makes perfect sense after you pointed it out, but I would have never thought of it...

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
My safe is one of the four finger combination ones. Not sure what they really call them but it works for me beside the bed. The only time the gun is in there is when I am showering or in bed anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i wont tell you not to purchase a biometric safe, but a simple key or code locked safe will work just fine, in my opinion. i have a basic safe that locks by a key. its kept in my armoire and the doors are kept closed. i highly doubt that my niece and nephew could open the doors, and then find the key, which is kept in the closet to open the safe, etc, etc, etc. granted they are 2, but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
The issue with this is the time it would take you to pen the safe and access your firearm. You have to acknowledge the threat, get up, go to the closet, fin the key, return to the armoire, locate the safe, insert the key and open the safe to access your firearm, all while in the dark and half a sleep with your adrenaline going nuts.

With kids, the firearm(s) HAVE to be secured but you need to be able to access them quickly. With the GunVault line of safes, you put your fingers into finger grooves and enter a combination. This is the best solution I can come up with, balancing the need for quick access to my firearms in the dark under stress and the safety of my children.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
That wouldn't work with my kids. :)

As they are a little older than your niece and nephew, it wouldn't take them long to realize what the key was for and have my safe open. Of course, we all teach our kids gun safety and not to touch them, and for the most part, I trust them not to, but I won't take the chance that let curiosity kill the cat....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fingerprint readers in general fail too much for my taste. Using them personally I have a very high failure rate. Laptops, a job I had was testing using biometrics for clocking in/out anything I've ever tried.

No thanks.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
My safe is one of the four finger combination ones. Not sure what they really call them but it works for me beside the bed. The only time the gun is in there is when I am showering or in bed anyway.
Gun Vault makes safes shon in a link in an earlier post in this thread by TheLaw, that use fingerprint or finger pad slot combinations.... I like the idea of a quick easy combination safe... Fingerprints... not so much!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.