Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a long wrestled over decision today. My carry has been a G43X. After purchasing a Springfield Ronin 1911 9mm 5”, I fell in
love with it. In particular, the dual safeties. Never could get fully comfortable with the Glock lack of a safety. I know all of the arguments as to me being “the main safety”. However being human, I make mistakes. So, I’m going to replace my 43X with a Ronin 4.23”. Sure, mechanical safeties can fail, but probably a bit less than human error. Probably trade the 43X in. Gonna keep my 48X as the nightstand gun. Let the slings and arrows begin.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No comment on YOUR choice of safety over no safety, but I am curious as to why keep the 48 over the 43x? My EDC is the 43x and I like it for my night stand firearm also because it is small with 10+1.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Made a long wrestled over decision today. My carry has been a G43X. After purchasing a Springfield Ronin 1911 9mm 5”, I fell in
love with it. In particular, the dual safeties. Never could get fully comfortable with the Glock lack of a safety. I know all of the arguments as to me being “the main safety”. However being human, I make mistakes. So, I’m going to replace my 43X with a Ronin 4.23”. Sure, mechanical safeties can fail, but probably a bit less than human error. Probably trade the 43X in. Gonna keep my 48X as the nightstand gun. Let the slings and arrows begin.
If you can't get comfy with a striker w/o an EXTERNAL safety..then get a gun with a safety. BUT..'Glock lack of safety' isn't quite accurate..no EXTERNAL safety for sure but...I, for one, when the SHTF, don't want to somehow forget the 'safety'...Being human, and making mistakes could mean you don't take the safety off..

BTW-I EDC either a 48 or 42...with all their internal safeties.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
No slings and arrows from me. Ignorance's being bliss, you must keep a perpetual case of the giggles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can't get comfy with a striker w/o an EXTERNAL safety..then get a gun with a safety. BUT..'Glock lack of safety' isn't quite accurate..no EXTERNAL safety for sure but...I, for one, when the SHTF, don't want to somehow forget the 'safety'...Being human, and making mistakes could mean you don't take the safety off..

BTW-I EDC either a 48 or 42...with all their internal safeties.
Never could accept that Glock’s definition of “safety” quite met the the accepted definition of safety. Originally wasn’t a gun safety something that prevented the hammer from being pulled until the safety was released?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Never could accept that Glock’s definition of “safety” quite met the the accepted definition of safety. Originally wasn’t a gun safety something that prevented the hammer from being pulled until the safety was released?
Understand that but I liken the Glock 'safeties' to like a DA revolver with the hammer forward. I know not identical and trigger travel much less but as above..training, knowledge..BUt if somebody wants an external safety, with those 'cons'..oh well. Not for me. The 'glock leg' crappola wears me out tho..strikers are mostly ALL like that and many, many YT videos of guys shooting themselves with a '1911', with external safeties.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Understand that but I liken the Glock 'safeties' to like a DA revolver with the hammer forward. I know not identical and trigger travel much less but as above..training, knowledge..BUt if somebody wants an external safety, with those 'cons'..oh well. Not for me. The 'glock leg' crappola wears me out tho..strikers are mostly ALL like that and many, many YT videos of guys shooting themselves with a '1911', with external safeties.

Gee, we must watch a different YouTube. Many,many videos of 1911 guys shooting themselves don’t exist. The “Glock leg” crappola is not crappola as it is real. I am not a Glock basher except for the “safety” deal. Still keeping and enjoyably shooting my Glocks but just not carrying.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gee, we must watch a different YouTube. Many,many videos of 1911 guys shooting themselves don’t exist. The “Glock leg” crappola is not crappola as it is real. I am not a Glock basher except for the “safety” deal. Still keeping and enjoyably shooting my Glocks but just not carrying.
Glock no different than the ton of other striker pistols out there. Just a LOT more Glocks(and for good reason, too..IMHO)..many, many have carried Glocks for years, w/o shooting oneself. There is NOTHING inherently 'dangerous' about a Glock, as is implied ALL THE TIME...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts