Glock Pro Forums banner

What's the best tactical light for Glock (23)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put a light on my Glock ( I think). I'm pretty set on the idea, but not 100% because my Glock 23 will be my choice of carry. Silly to have a light?

Tell me what you think.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I don't think it is silly to have a light in fact, I think it is very important to positively ID your target. However, there are reported failures of the 23 that were caused by mounting a light to the frame. It prevents the frame from flexing as much as it should during recoil. This is a failure that I have been able to recreate with out much effort at all. In fact all I did was mount a light to mine and there it was. There are also lots of others that have not had any problems with it at all.

I guess it is hit and miss. Before spending a lot of money on something like that though, that might cause problems I would find someone that has one I could try on my gun. Or, spend the money on a small hand held combat light and learn to shoot using it. I prefer my Surefire defender. Has a nice strike Bessel on it to be able to use just in case some one were to get the drop on me and a tug of war follows over the gun.

Another argument used a lot is a BG might shoot towards the light. Maybe, maybe not who knows. With a flashlight it can be held with the arm extended away from the body increasing the chance of a miss. This method is called the FBI method and is actually taught at FLETC.

Good luck with your decision what you end up using is of course your choice but, I did want you to be aware of some of the problems people were having. Also, some of the other choices out there in terms of a good hand held light you can get for about the same amount of money.

Reactions: __jb

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I'll be mounting my TLR-2 on my G19. I do like the newer, smaller model but having a perfectly good working model, I can't see spending the money.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
SureFire wasn't option so I didn't vote.

I have in the past owned a SureFire X200B and a Streamlight M3X. I liked both. For the money the M3X was a great light but I preferred the beam and smaller size of the X200B.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i have the TRL-1. can't beat it for the price ($99 on optics planet).

insights are nice too, but cost as much as another gun.

read cust reviews on the glock brand tac light on websites like midwayusa--you prob want to avoid that one.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I think I'm going to sell my TLR-2 with laser. Looking at this thread has me reviewing some of the other options out there.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The combined light/laser models have never really had a draw for me. It seems one would find better success with a dedicated either or. If I wanted a laser I would use Crimson Trace and have them 24/7 rather than only when I have the light/laser unit attached. If I wanted a light I would prefer something more compact than the combined units. That's just me though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just purchased a TLR-1s to use on my AR. It did come with the rail insert for Glocks. I had a X300 prior to buying this one. For the money, the TLR-1s is a better choice than the X300. Very similar size, appears to be built just as well, approx same lumens. Plus the TLR-1s has strobe. $99 at LAPG.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I just purchased a TLR-1s to use on my AR. It did come with the rail insert for Glocks. I had a X300 prior to buying this one. For the money, the TLR-1s is a better choice than the X300. Very similar size, appears to be built just as well, approx same lumens. Plus the TLR-1s has strobe. $99 at LAPG.
Why did it need to come with an insert for GLOCKS? My TLR-2 fits perfectly fine on my GLOCK as with all my other railed pistols. Curious...

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Thanks for the info on LAPD as well as this was the model I was looking to purchase, and it's $20.00 cheaper here than at MidwayUSA. I also need to decide before I order my Raven holster. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Thanks for the info on LAPD as well as this was the model I was looking to purchase, and it's $20.00 cheaper here than at MidwayUSA. I also need to decide before I order my Raven holster. :)
You need to look at the Kaluban Cloak I have too. It is a Raven-like design and can accommodate a light. My Raven won't be here for you to check out until late Nov. Side note: Raven has a "big announcement" set to drop on Wednesday. I talked to Tom (their sales director) today and he won't say what it is.

Another side note: Alabama Holster has a Raven-like design that isn't listed on their website. I will have one within the next week for you to look at. I don't know if they will make it to allow a light though. Mine will have an open bottom so I can use with any GLOCK model. It will be my IDPA/GSSF/etc holster. That way I can carry whatever I am shooting that day ... G26/G19/G34

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I look forward to checking those out. You should do a picture write up on the holsters you have :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
glocks have their own proprietary accesory rail. tac lights like streamlights come come with keys to fit multiple guns.

m&p's use the mil standard 1913 picatiny rail, for example.
I know what TheLaw is saying though. I've never had to swap out any parts to make a light work on a GLOCK. I actually tried both attachments once on a SureFire and they both held it very secure.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Yep - I pulled the light off my XD and put it on my GLOCK. It also fits on my 1911 perfectly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.