Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying a sight pusher to install/adjust Glock rear sights. The Glockmeister and MGW tools are similarly priced and generally available. Any recommendations for one over the other?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Considering buying a sight pusher to install/adjust Glock rear sights. The Glockmeister and MGW tools are similarly priced and generally available. Any recommendations for one over the other?

Thanks.
Are you going to install/adjust just Glock OEM plastic sights?
Do you have a bench vise?

These are not just irritating questions in response to a question, your answers will enable me to give you some alternatives to buying a $100 tool, if that interests you.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My immediate need is to adjust a Glock plastic sight to POA. Longer term I may want to install other sights. Yes I do have a bench vise.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
My immediate need is to adjust a Glock plastic sight to POA. Longer term I may want to install other sights. Yes I do have a bench vise.
Gentle use of a hammer and a brass punch (or a little piece of wood, for that matter) will work to adjust the rear sight you have, there should be no reason to use a tool. The sight is given its fit in the dovetail by means of a little steel spring that fits into the bottom of the sight. You cannot see it with the sight installed, but it is there. It is quite easy to move.

Given that you have a vise, I recommend against getting any sight pusher. Take a look at Dave Dawson's video and tell me if you agree with me:Installing Glock Sights with Dave Dawson - YouTube

If you get a sight file (Sight File DP 6 Inch Sight Base File, 60 Degree #1, #097007 Detail Page), you can easily fit aftermarket rear sights. Dave's video shows you how. The only other thing you might need is a couple of pieces of aluminum to pad the vise jaws. I used to use a sight pusher (I have both versions of the MGW tool for Glock as well as the Official Glock tool), but I think that Dave's method is better: easier and faster.

Chris

·
Registered
551 Posts
Go with the MGW. It is VERY well made and works great. Yes you can use a vise. I personally like the option of having it with me to adjust or replace sights where ever I am. I cant count how many sights Ive worked on at matches, fun shoots, classes, friends guns ect.

Highly recommend the MGW

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Go with the MGW. It is VERY well made and works great. Yes you can use a vise. I personally like the option of having it with me to adjust or replace sights where ever I am. I cant count how many sights Ive worked on at matches, fun shoots, classes, friends guns ect.

Highly recommend the MGW
They do indeed make a fine sight pusher. In fact, they make TWO for Glocks: one for "use with flat side sights" and one for "use with factory angled style sights". MGW tools are definitely fine. At about $100 each with shipping.

Chris

Line Gas Electric blue Machine Auto part

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
I use the DP sight file that Chris mentioned and also the angled MGW sight pusher...

If you get the small sight file... Go to Home Depot and get a small handle for it... About $4 and it will save your hands...

·
Registered
394 Posts
They do indeed make a fine sight pusher. In fact, they make TWO for Glocks: one for "use with flat side sights" and one for "use with factory angled style sights". MGW tools are definitely fine. At about $100 each with shipping.

Chris

View attachment 2851
ditto, I spent a c note for one but I also have 4 glocks, using a hammer/punch is sometimes hard when you only need to move the sights mm's, well worth it to keep your glock 100%

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use the MGW also. I bought it about 2-3 years ago for around $80.00 on sale.

I have pushed and pulled about 50 sets of sights in the last few years, so it has been more than worth the money spent. I put on sights for my friends and family.

Jerry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does the mgw fit any slides other than glock? Has anybody used the Uni sight pusher? Looks pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
MGW. Yes, you can use a punch and all that, but when you need to move the sight a few mm like the a poster mentioned above, you can't beat a pusher.

Plus, you can try all the night sights your heart desires and if they don't work out, push them out sell/trade and get a new sight. No longer do you need to find someone with a pusher or use a punch.

I charge my friends lunch/dinner/beer. Lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everybody.

I ended up buying the MGW pusher at Midway, taking advantage of the sale. I took it to the range and finally zeroed in the rear sight on my new 34 g4. (Blue label, so fixed sights) I tried the punch/hammer technique, but decided that for fine adjustments at the range a sight pusher was a better idea.

Preacher

1 - 14 of 14 Posts