Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

It is my first time to have a firearm, and I am glad it is a Glock. I was wondering what is the best cleaning product for my firearm? A friend of mine recommended FrogLube, but when I searched it at YouTube, all I see are negative comments about it.

Also, is it correct that I use CLP to clean the Glock, then put some oil on it like Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricant?

Thank you very much for the advice.

Miami

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
The official line from Glock is that as long as the products are meant for guns, they don’t care. And that’s actually true. Glocks don’t have rust issues and they need very little lubricant.

In general, I like lightweight oil for lubrication. I’m currently using Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil (available at a lot of automotive stores as well as online), I’ve only used it a few months but so far it doesn’t seem to be trapping dirt and I like the trigger feel with it. I withhold the right to change my mind but so far so good.

Hoppes will also work just fine. Glock US uses Shooters Choice, but they’ll tell you there’s nothing special about it vs any other lightweight oil that their guns need. Dirt is the real enemy so that’s why they recommend lightweight oil over grease.

Same goes for cleaning, anything meant for a gun will work. I just started using Hoppes 9 foaming barrel cleaner and am liking it.

You only need chemical on the bore of the gun. Everything else can be cleaned with a cloth or brush. If you brush it off frequently it’ll clean up quick. Never put oil or chemicals in the firing pin channel. Keep it dry and clean out with some long qtips a couple times a year.

Maintain your springs and the gun will last multiple lifetimes. I change mine every year on the guns I shoot regularly regardless of the number of rounds. Springs are cheap, yet they are the most important part for protecting the gun and being sure it functions reliably!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, this is very useful information MtStream, thank you very much! May I ask, what does CLP do, what does a Degreaser do? And when should I use them? What is usually the sequence of all these chemicals/cleaners?

Thanks again,

Miami

·
Administrator
6,582 Posts
CLP is a cleaner/lubricator/protector, it is advertised as binding to the metal to make it more impervious to the sticking things like carbon and dust.

A degreaser is as named, it cleans all traces of oils, grease, etc, kind of a squeaky clean bath.

Nothing wrong with Froglube, I have used it on Frank, (my edc), but one should not mix FL with petroleum based lubricants.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I use Hoppes foaming bore cleaner, M16 brush and a light oil I picked up at a gun show because it came in a bottle with a very small tube for dispensing very small drops of oil. But when you're using about 8 drops of oil, it lasts a long time. Also swab the bore till it shows a clean patch.

Gaz

·
Administrator
6,582 Posts
My routine is to clean the weapon and then apply a modest amout of oil, (Rem/Hop/whatever) and blow out with 125 psi air. Leaves a fine sheen on everything, and, removes any excess that the first couple of rounds would be taking off anyway.

Per Glock and others, no oil in the striker liner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I really like 'Kroil' for its penetrating and cleaning ability, and also for its lubricating ability. It goes on more lightweight than many other similar products and that's probably the main reason why I like it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought my first Glock in 1989. For cleaning I used to take it apart and go to the backyard with a can of carburetor cleaner and spray all the crud off. Then I’d run a brush and patches through the barrel. After that I’d lube with a few drops of 30W motor oil.

About fifteen years later I went to armorers school and the subject of cleaning was discussed. When the instructor heard what I was doing, he said “don’t do that”.

Today I wipe everything clean with CLP and I use Mobil-1 for lube. For rifles like my Garand I use Mobil-1 grease.

And, I still have my first Glock (Gen-1) and it’s still running strong.

Also, read the directions on Froglube. I have a friend who soaked his 1911 in Froglube. He stepped up to the firing line in a match, inserted the magazine and hit the slide release with his thumb. His slide went forward in slow motion. Everybody started teasing his about it asking if he was making a slow motion movie.

The directions he failed to read basically said to heat the surface with a hair dryer or heat gun before application and apply a thin coat. Let it set, then wipe off the excess. He did neither.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any time someone posts a thread what is the best cleaner/rust preventer/lubrication usually brings out a lot of different responses. Everybody has their own particular mixture that they swear by. Some are old family recipes that have been handed down, some prefer to use their own mixture and some try every new product that comes out and their is the old time proven Hoppes products. Bottom line is use what ever works for you and your gun. As long as you clean your gun on a regular basis and lube it in the correct places your gun will probably outlive you.

·
Administrator
6,582 Posts
heat the surface with a hair dryer or heat gun before application
You are correct that heating up the surface first before applying the FrogLube is important !

I used it and it worked quite well IMO, but the heating of parts is a PITA, I opt to use REM oil and air pressure.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
All great and valid responses and advice here. As a few have mentioned, it really doesn't matter; 6-7 drops of the lubricant of your choice in the places outlined in the manual and absolutely NOTHING in the Firing Pin Channel or on the Firing Pin! I use Ballistol for barrel and bore cleaning and Breakfree CLP for lubricant. It's worked wonderfully for a decade in many Glocks. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Sir, don't know if you're still out there. I've learned that special boutique lubricants and solvent are unnecessary for the casual shooter. I suspect you will learn the same over time.

I've tried many. Some that are mentioned here. This is what I use and it serve me well.
Hoppes #9
Mineral Spirits for soaking. The scent free, milky stuff.
Medicinal Grade Mineral Oil for lubrication. The key here is a very light film application.
All of my firearms function flawlessly.
If you feel better using the boutique stuff, no worries.
Use what you like, but any advantage is irrelevant to the average shooter. Hope I've shed some light.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys, thank you very much for your recommendations. So far I have fired 140 shots from my Glock 17C and did a field strip. As I was still scared to use FrogLube, I used WD40 to clean the rails and barrel. Then oiled the barrel and rails with Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricant (just small drops as seen on youtube). I hope WD40 doesn't ruin my Glock. :confused:

A week after I cleaned my firearm, I went to a gun store to pick up some stuff an I was told that FrogLube works fine here in the Philippines as we are in a tropical country. So no worries on gunk and stuff. Just apply it, no hair drier required according to them. I still haven't tried it yet.

·
Administrator
6,582 Posts
The worst that WD40 can do is gather dust and dander and gum up, don't think it can physically harm the weapon.

I did the FL and hair dryer once or twice, turned into a hassle for me as opposed to using petroleum based oils.

Remember you can not mix Froglube and standard oils, make sure the weapon is cleaned before applying it and vise versa when going the other way.

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
So I cannot use FrogLube CLP to clean the gun then Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricant right after?
No, they don't mix. If you decide to go Froglube you should not use any oil based products with it.

Glock pistols are not picky and are extremely rust resistant. So any gun oil will work if you decide you don't want to mess with Froglube.

I like a foaming bore cleaner (don't have a favorite at the moment) and I am currently using Lucas Extreme Gun oil for lubricant which I really like.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, this is noted. Good thing I held-off in using FrogLube. I guess i'll go and get Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Bore Cleaner to ensure that it is compatible with the Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricant that I have. Too bad I can't find Hoppe's CLP in my location.

Will Hoppe's o. 9 Gun Bore Cleaner be enough to protect my firearm compared to CLP?

How about Ballistol? Does it function like CLP? Can I use it with Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricant?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Okay, this is noted. Good thing I held-off in using FrogLube. I guess i'll go and get Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Bore Cleaner to ensure that it is compatible with the Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricant that I have. Too bad I can't find Hoppe's CLP in my location.

Will Hoppe's o. 9 Gun Bore Cleaner be enough to protect my firearm compared to CLP?

How about Ballistol? Does it function like CLP? Can I use it with Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricant?
I use Hoppe's foaming bore cleaner in the barrel and Ballistol for the entire firearm. I have used Breakfree, Military grade cleaner, FrogLube and others. FrogLube gets a bad rap most of the time from people that do not use it correctly. I met Captain Lansky the inventor of FrogLube. He stressed if you heat the firearm with a hairdryer, oven or let it just sit in the sun to get rather warm and then coat the firearm with FrogLube ...let it sit for an hour and then clean it out and off, the gun is "seasoned" and no buildup will develop. So many people just gob it on the firearm and then then reassemble it. This is especially bad in the northern states in the winter it just gunks up and creates a mess.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I use Hoppe's foaming bore cleaner in the barrel and Ballistol for the entire firearm. I have used Breakfree, Military grade cleaner, FrogLube and others. FrogLube gets a bad rap most of the time from people that do not use it correctly. I met Captain Lansky the inventor of FrogLube. He stressed if you heat the firearm with a hairdryer, oven or let it just sit in the sun to get rather warm and then coat the firearm with FrogLube ...let it sit for an hour and then clean it out and off, the gun is "seasoned" and no buildup will develop. So many people just gob it on the firearm and then then reassemble it. This is especially bad in the northern states in the winter it just gunks up and creates a mess.
Hi GRU7_Mech_ret, I am located in the Philippines and it's tropical here. Most of the time we get temperatures around 38 degrees Celsius. I wan't aware though that FrogLube involves heating and waiting and stuff like that. I might end up using Hoppe's and Ballistol since it's more convenient.

Is it okay to use Ballistol to clean and finish up with Hoppe's Lubricant for the rails and Barrel (outside)?

Sorry guys, I really have zero knowledge on all of this and have been getting conflicting advice regarding the use of FrogLube from where I am at.

Thank you very much for your help.

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Is it okay to use Ballistol to clean and finish up with Hoppe's Lubricant for the rails and Barrel (outside)?.
Yes, this combination works well. Ballistol to clean the inside of the barrel. A dry toothbrush/rag to brush/wipe the rest of the gun off and Hoppes Lubricant on the lubrication points.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts