Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well you'll never notice #1 and #2, and #3 just won't happen, period.

I've yet to see an aftermarket guide rod that works well in ANY gun, short of maybe 1911's. You'd have to put a REAL heavy rod in there to notice any reduction in recoil. At the end of the day learning to properly grip the gun and proper trigger control will do you much more good at getting fast, accurate follow up shots.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Quicker follow up shots, less recoil, and increased reliability.
I am not trying to be argumentative at all. I am honestly curious if you have actually seen any measurable improvement in any of these three factors. That is a serious question. Can you actually tell a difference between stock and after market or is this all "theoretical"?

I know some of the big boys in competition do all sorts of pimp mods but I find I can shoot as fast as I can handle, can easily control the recoil, and have ZERO reliability issues with stock parts. Therefore, I expect changing out parts from stock wouldn't do most folks much good other than giving them something to do so they can say their gun is a "race gun".

I do change a few things on my new GLOCKs but the only thing that really does make a difference is changing the connector to a GLOCK OEM minus connector. The other things I do is change the sights (actually measurable improvement) and put in a smooth trigger and extended slide stop lever. The ext slide stop facilitates dropping it during re-loads. The smooth trigger admittedly is mostly a comfort thing for shooting extended sessions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason for my question was these parts exist, and they must exist for a reason. They must be better because they are used by pros in competition. At least thats what what I think. Makes sense don't you think??? I figure guns are just like most things, after market is usually better. Example: Alpine head unit is better than any factory radio. The reason Alpine is better, is this is what they specialize in. This is just what seems logical to me. I could be wrong. Maybe a Glock Amorer will chime in, and help me out here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They exist because people buy them.

Justin Bieber exists because people buy his stupid stuff.

Best Buy extended warranties exist because people buy them.

Lots of things exist that serve no real purpose in life, other then to remove money from your wallet.

Competitors use them because reliability is often not a concern and every hundredth of a second taken off their time helps. Unless you're a competitor at that level you will not see any real world gains.

·
None
1,525 Posts
Here's my take:

The Glock frame is built to have a certain about of flexibility. In slow motion, you can actually see the frame flex when firing.

Changing out polymer parts for more rigid steel parts may cause reliability problems due to making the pistol more rigid and thus less flexible.

This issue was manifest when weapon lights came into common usage. Glock had to add a coil to the magazine spring so that the weapon would function properly with a light attached.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I have a glock 17 gen 4 and am looking into upgrading the factory guide rod assembly. Who makes a good after market assembly??
Did you know that Glock has two guide rod assemblies of the 4th generation Glock 17?

Which one do you have?

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
One of the main features of the gen 4 G17 is the two piece guide rod spring... I don't think I would want to give that up.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
I have a glock 17 gen 4 and am looking into upgrading the factory guide rod assembly. Who makes a good after market assembly??
I installed this: "Jager Products Generation 4 Guide Rod -..... a captured steel guide rod for the Generation 4 Glock 17/22. These come with your choice of an ISMI 13 or 15 pound recoil spring". It came from CPWSA and cost $42.95 shipped. With a 15-pound spring it solved a functioning problem I was having with "light 9's" (WW 115 grain 9mm). It fits the pistol perfectly and it even looks good! With one of these you have the opportunity to fiddle around with different springs if you feel the need.

I now understand that Glock has a new Recoil Spring Assembly (RSA) that should solve the problem I encountered. If you are having a problem, you might contact Glock and see if they have a fix. Just call the main number and ask for support (770 - 432 1202), and be ready with the gun in your hands, because they may ask you to "drop the top" (remove the slide, RSA, and barrel) so that you can see if the slide is beveled. This helps determine which part they might send you.

If your RSA is already stamped "0 2" or "0 2 1" on the end, then you probably already have the newest part, but I'd call Glock and ask anyway. You might have to wait a few minutes on hold, but those folks are very nice to deal with and the one I talked to was very knowledgeable.

If you are not having a problem, well, it's your money.

Good shooting!

Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
Competition shooters do use lighter springs and triggers, but most of them also use ammo specifically charged (light) ammo for their gun set up in order to reduce recoil and produce faster follow up shots. If you use your glock for self defense (which is the original purpose of glocks) leave it stock and use heavier SD ammo, this will fix any ejection issue you might be having. If you're building a race rig then you could use the gen3 spring guide with an adapter up front (check glockworx) and use a lighter spring. It will likely require you to also change the striker and striker spring to work right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most competition shooters reload their own ammo. Several of the competition sports (IDPA, USPSA, IPSC) allow "minor" loads to be used. Minor loads have a power factor of 125. The power factor is calculated by multiplying bullet weight (in grains, 7,000 to the pound) by muzzle velocity (in feet per second), then dividing by 1000. Most stock guns cannot run the minor loads reliably without using a different recoil spring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.