Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the last thread I posted (about the used G22 I'm getting), how many rounds can be expected out of a Glock barrel before it's "worn out"?

My 29 (bought it brand new) has 250 rounds through it now. Comparing the wear on the barrel from the slide of my new one to the one I'm getting, I'm guessing the used one on (G22) has 800-1000 rounds through it. I don't expect that it's anywhere near "worn out", but just as a figure. At what point would most of you be looking at a barrel replacement?

That all said, I plan on getting a 9mm barrel for it for cost and versatility. Also, where I to get an aftermarket 40 S&W barrel, is there really any apprecialbe accuracy to be gained? Most manufacturers say yes...but then there's marketing lol

As always, thanks millions in advance for advice or comments!

Ex

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not sure about .40 barrels but I've never even heard of a Glock barrel being worn out. I think it's Chuck Taylor, he's getting pretty close to 300,000 rounds out of his '89 Glock 17.

In the Glock factory in Austria, there's a display with a Gen 1 G17 with a certificate sitting next to it. The certificate is from the Hirtenberger company that tested that particular G17 for 348,210 rounds. They replaced only springs throughout the process(probably every spring in the gun at some point). Don't know why they stopped at the round count that they did, they probably figured going any further was pointless.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Glock barrels receive the Tenifer finish both inside and out. This finish allows them to have a much longer than
normal barrel life. (Ed. Note : A firearms writer of some repute, Chuck Taylor, has completed an over 75,000
round test on a Glock 17. At the end of the test, the Glock was still shooting average groups of less than 3
inches with all types of ammunition from a ransom rest at 35 meters. This is astounding barrel life. Most pistols
have no rifling by the throat after 10 or 15 thousand rounds).
this is the G17 gen1 on display at glock in austria that has 348,210 rounds through it-- still combat accurate and fully functional. :)

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I would be willing to bet that the barrel will out last most people's bank accounts after buying that much 40 or 10mm ammo

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I know I can't.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thats 6954 boxes of 9mm. Figuring at the cheapest at $12 a box, that's $83,580. Nope, I can't afford it either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats 6954 boxes of 9mm. Figuring at the cheapest at $12 a box, that's $83,580. Nope, I can't afford it either.
Well...if you figure over one's lifetime...if you shoot alot...one could spend lots of money...I know I do!;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.