Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just completed my latest project, a "tactical" Remington 870. I picked up a Wingmaster that had seen better days, with the main issue being the shell latch "spring" on one side had been bent by cycling the slide without the bolt assembly installed. This also "un-staked" the latch causing major feeding issues.

Other than that, and the gun showing signs of many years of field use, and the cheap "camo" stock set..... Well, it did have the Wingmaster action and a vent rib barrel!

I hated to see the proud "old warrior" in such a state..... Before I show you what I did, any thoughts as to what you might have done?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If you are gonna go tactical I say go all the way. After getting the gun to function properly I would have put an ATI collapsible stock with pistol grip on it, ATI railed fore end, cut the barrel down to 18.5 inches, mounted a rail and micro red rot, side saddle, magazine extension, and a light.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds cool.... But "heavy".... That's been the battle of the (2) sides of my brain (what little halves they are!), part wants to, as you say, "go all out" but I'm concerned about the finished weight with all the ad-ons. I'm thinking short range, so I don't really need an optic (but they do look cool), it's a 12 gauge so straight pistol grip seems impractical.

I built another one of these a couple of years ago and used a Knoxx recoil absorbing M4 style stock and hated it. That stock flexed up into my face on recoil.... Most uncomfortable stock I've ever shot.

Back to weight... I'm using a plus (2) magazine extension so that's (7) rounds in the gun. If I add a Mesa shell carrier, it seems like un-necessary weight. Does anyone have opinions regarding weight vs "tacti-cool" add ons?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm not sure how much weight that would add, but I don't think it would be a ton, especially after cutting the barrel down. Optic isn't necessary but it does make for quick target acquisition, plus I would have cut the front sight off :)

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
This is an interesting thread, Ed!

Before making too many recommendations, I have a question: what is the length of the barrel? My reason for asking is that if you can keep the barrel (and not cut it down), that will save quite a bit of cost. I would not cut the barrel down, doing so will throw away whatever choke it has, and the barrel is marked with the choke size. A decent 870 barrel has some value, and it can always be put back on the gun for hunting, assuming it has a reasonable choke and length.

If you can keep the barrel, I would probably do the following for a low-cost approach:

1. Repair whatever needed repairing from a mechanical perspective.
2. I like wood stocks, so I would find a used 870 stock, strip it, and give it an oil finish. If you can't find a used one, new ones are easy to find.
3. Have the action and barrel stripped and refinished, in some sort of matte finish, something like Parkerizing.

That would give you a "rough and ready" 870, but not necessarily a "tactical" gun.

If you aren't going to keep the barrel, I would follow these steps for a higher-cost approach:

1. Repair whatever needed repairing from a mechanical perspective.
2. Get a new Remington barrel (http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...spx?avs|Make~~Model_1=Remington__870&psize=96). There are a number of choices to make in Remington replacement barrels on the Brownells site, I would choose the 18" Police barrel with rifle sights and Improved Cylinder choke, making it useful with shot or slugs.

Automotive exterior Computer monitor accessory Rectangle Auto part Metal

3. Get a decent tactical stock. Magpul makes an interesting one in plastic (REMINGTON 870 SGA STOCK SET | Brownells),

Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Font Auto part

but I prefer an old-fashioned-looking police walnut stock set (PRE-FINISHED REPLACEMENT SHOTGUN STOCKS | Brownells) and (FOREND, POLICE, WALNUT | Brownells).

Ruler Rectangle Wood Tool Font Sleeve Gesture Thumb Font Wood Plant Wood Tree Wood stain Hardwood

For a more modern look, MidwayUSA sells a good-looking Remington stock set in black synthetic: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/89...forend-remington-870-12-gauge-synthetic-black

4. Have the action stripped and refinished to match the barrel. For the barrel I chose, that would be a Parkerized finish.

My goal here would be to end up with an old-fashioned police shotgun, to go with your handsome collection of S&W ex-Police revolvers.

Chris

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Chris... I was wondering when you'd be along.... I've got another 870 Wingmaster in near new condition to be used for everything other than "tactical", so this one is more of a specialized piece.

I was hoping that this thread might be an idea "sounding board" for those thinking of starting a project like this.... This is my 2nd attempt, and due to the volume of available upgrades and accessories, it's reminding me of trying to "pick an AR platform rifle"... It's like only getting one chance to go to Baskin Robbins.... Too many choices to pick just one! Perhaps in discussing the pros and cons here, it'll save some members some money on a future project.

So, the barrel is decided.... I cut it at 18 1/2" and I kept the vent rib.... I made my cut of the rib about 3/8" back from the barrel end. This one is specifically a SD / HD shottie.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
..So, the barrel is decided.... I cut it at 18 1/2" and I kept the vent rib.... I made my cut of the rib about 3/8" back from the barrel end. This one is specifically a SD / HD shottie.
Did you manage to preserve a section of the rib mount to the barrel, so that the rib isn't hanging in space? (of course you did) Is a photo possible? I guess this makes it a cylinder bore, then, right? Your mention of this project got me thinking, dang it. I'm going to start looking for an(other) used 870, I like the idea of the Police gun from days of yore..

The one "field" pump shotgun I own is an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight in 20 gauge, I think it's got a modified choke. Beautiful little gun, and since it ejects down it's perfect for lefties like me.

Chris

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
looking forward to seeing your work, Ed! no suggestions from me. just looking into long guns and dreaming if 3-gun competitions sometime in my life...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you manage to preserve a section of the rib mount to the barrel, so that the rib isn't hanging in space? (of course you did) Is a photo possible? I guess this makes it a cylinder bore, then, right? Your mention of this project got me thinking, dang it. I'm going to start looking for an(other) used 870, I like the idea of the Police gun from days of yore..

The one "field" pump shotgun I own is an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight in 20 gauge, I think it's got a modified choke. Beautiful little gun, and since it ejects down it's perfect for lefties like me.

Chris
What's that saying? "Measure twice, cut once?" Well dang it, it ought to be "yada, yada... Ask Chris... Cut once!" LOL...naw, I think I did it correctly.... Good point on the vent rib and cutting the barrel though... There is more to it than just keeping it legal!

This is also brings up a couple of more points. Chris mentioned keeping the stock barrel, or maybe go aftermarket because of the barrel's choke.... This is a good example of decisions that come up with even a simple project like a home defense shottie. Cutting the stock barrel is cost effective, but done poorly, it's the most expensive way to go.

When contemplating this project, I settled on a budget. With all the cool goodies available, it is very easy to go over budget quickly in your project. For me, it comes down to form vs function. But, pride of ownership will kick in, it does for me anyway, and random flashes of cool "form" keep popping into my head... And those "flashes of form" rack up $$$ real quick!

What matters more to you all? Looks great and maybe has performance compromises, or functions awesome, but maybe lacks some bells and whistles? For example, a rail on the receiver and an optic that will handle 12 gauge recoil would cost about the same as a nice CeraKote refinish and night sights. Which way would you go?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I like an 18 1/2" length to remain legal, the Magpul stock that Chris mentioned, a side saddle for extra rounds, and an attached light. That is all for me. No pistol grips, folding stocks, freakin laser beams, or any extras. Remember, you fight with what is IN your gun, or ON your gun. :)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like an 18 1/2" length to remain legal, the Magpul stock that Chris mentioned, a side saddle for extra rounds, and an attached light. That is all for me. No pistol grips, folding stocks, freakin laser beams, or any extras. Remember, you fight with what is IN your gun, or ON your gun. :)
It's ALWAYS a good idea to listen to "The Law!" I like the way you're thinkin'! When I first looked at the MagPul MOE shotgun stock, I didn't like it and that's when I bought the Knoxx Blackhawk II. This time, I went with the MagPul, mainly because I liked the simple good looks and the amount of adjustability of the length of pull. Even at my size, I didn't use all the spacers that came with the MagPul stock.

I used an Elzetta light mount and a Fenix light on my last 870... It was a secure mount and functioned fine, it felt a bit front heavy and threw the balance of the gun off, so this time I went without a light (for now) and put a tritium front sight.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think it's time I introduce the WingMaster.... I took a "mature" 870 Wingmaster, fixed it's shortcomings and upgraded the internals. I installed a new shell carrier, replaced the carrier dog spring with the police version, replaced the extractor with the police version, installed a marine grade extractor spring, did a trigger job, installed a new trigger spring, installed a +2 magazine tube extension with a Wolfe magazine spring, installed a tritium front sight and had the metal Cera-koted....

Here's some pics...

Sleeve Musical instrument accessory Grey Wood Bag

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Vehicle door Laptop

Automotive design Automotive exterior Material property Tints and shades Personal luxury car

Toilet roll holder Office equipment Bullet Office supplies Tints and shades

Wood Beige Sleeve Line Communication Device

Wood Line Audio equipment Cylinder Office equipment

Everyday carry Metal Knife Composite material Hunting knife

Wood Trigger Office equipment Shotgun Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
I think it's time I introduce the WingMaster.... I took a "mature" 870 Wingmaster, fixed it's shortcomings and upgraded the internals. I installed a new shell carrier, replaced the carrier dog spring with the police version, replaced the extractor with the police version, installed a marine grade extractor spring, did a trigger job, installed a new trigger spring, installed a +2 magazine tube extension with a Wolfe magazine spring, installed a tritium front sight and had the metal Cera-koted....
Now THAT is a beautiful shotgun, well done! I really like the way the barrel was cut and trimmed, it looks like factory work. You've got a keeper there, Ed.

Chris

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Added a couple of more pics... Whole gun this time...

Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
How does that stock feel different? I'm curious about those, they look great.

Chris

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How does that stock feel different? I'm curious about those, they look great.

Chris
Compared to the Knoxx? Great.... Compared to a "standard stock" the "pistol grip" is more pronounced which is good for quick aim, but the best part is the length of pull adjustability. There are multiple "spacers" that come with the butt stock and it allows 3" of LOP adjustment.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You did a nice job bringing that older Wingmaster back to life.
Here is my Mossberg 930 SPX. It is heavy, but has very little recoil.

This is an old photo. I have since ditched the foregrip and relocated the TLR-1. Basically the same other than those 2 changes.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! Short range report... I took the 870 out to the range today and put it through it's paces. It handled very well.... My previous "tactical" 870 was an "Express" that I replaced the factory barrel with a cylinder bore aftermarket barrel. It was, it seems to me now anyway, a lighter shotgun. Perhaps the vented rib adds weight to the front end, but regardless, the Wingmaster was easy to control, grouped well and the performance upgrades were actually noticeable!

Upgrading the shell carrier and it's spring helps the gun to cycle faster, and even running at a pace that turned the shottie into an antiaircraft gun I could not get it to mis-feed. The action is silky smooth, just like a well broken in Wingmaster should be, but with all new springs, new carrier and extractor the action was smooth, but sure and crisp.

I'm just waiting for the Mesa Tactical receiver mounted shell carrier, and this one is done!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.