Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I bought my G20SF. I love the gun. I never was a Glock fan, but I wanted a 10mm, and the Glock seemed like the best all around one out there especially for the price, and since buying it I have learned to appreciate how good these guns really are.

Anyway the only really hangup I have with it is I don't shoot it very accurately. Don't get me wrong I'm certainly no expert shot, but most other handguns I've shot I tend to shot more accurately.(even little pocket guns) I bought some expensive Hornady JHP ammo and I was on target pretty good with it, and I was shooting it probably 125 ft more away so that was pretty good for me, but with cheap ammo I don't shoot it too well. With that said I don't want to just blame it all on the ammo. I guess in some ways ammo's ammo, and at 25 yard or so it ought to go where the gun is pointed even if it is really cheap. I've been shoot my new 1911 pretty accurately with fairly cheap .45 FMJ ammo. I know 1911's are typically more accurate than Glocks,(atleast ones that don't have 5"+ barrels) but 10mm ammo is suppose to be more accurate than .45 ACP.

What I'm trying to get at with all this typing is is there ways to get more accurate with this gun without just assuming more practice is needed? I've put over 400 rounds threw it, and I just can't see anything I doing wrong when firing it. I've been told by 10mm 1911 guys on 1911 forums that selecting the correct recoil spring for whatever different loads of 10mm ammo they are firing will make or break how accurate they shoot the gun. I assume this would also be true with a Glock?

Any G20 guys on here experiment with different recoil springs for different loads, and did it help changing to different springs?

Thanks,

Jesse

·
Registered
612 Posts
My G29 is on-the-spot accurate. Thats with Federal American Eagle 180 FMJ's, Hornady personal defense, or anything I've shot through it. There are differences with load/spring issues...Don's the resident expert on that.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
There are several here. They'll be along as soon as there hand quits hurting from shooting it. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
welcome :)

sure thing some of use are 10mm folks :) join my mushroom cloud 10 group (you click "groups" at the top of the page here).

i have a glock 29 with a wolff recoil assembly with 21lb spring. the stock spring is 17lbs. if you shoot full power ammo (which you should lol) with the stock assembly, the U shaped frame area at the start of the dust cover with take quite a spanking from the slide hitting it. i've had complete reliability with this heavy spring, even with low power target blazer aluminum 10mm.

my buddy's been firing his g20 for over a year with full power loads with the stock spring, and his frame is chewed up in that area. i've been told glock will replace frames under warranty that are damaged to the point that it affects functionality (his isn't yet), but i can't say that's true, just what i've heard and i'm not relying on it. the wolff assembly is a small price to pay to some peace of mind :)

for full power ammo, i use swampfox. it's full power and he uses quality jhp bullets (not that montana gold crap that doubletap and buffalo bore uses). double tap ammo falls up to 200fps short of it's claimed velocities too.

for cheaper range ammo, i've used the blazer aluminum the most. accurate stuff :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Good deal!

I will defanantly order some Swampfox ammo as I believe they are produced in my home state. Thinking about these.
http://www.swampfoxgunworks.com/swampfox/product.php?productid=17683&cat=361&page=1

Does the Wolff recoil assembly work better than cheaper ones from Glockmeister, Lone Wolf, etc? I know they make for easy spring changes if you want that.
sure the hard cast are good for hunting wild animal protection as they penetrate more than jhp's, but if you're looking for self defense rounds, jhp is the way to go. i have some his gold dot jhp 165gr 10mm at 1,400fps, and XTP jhp 180gr at 1,350fps :)

the wolff is the best one. it's about $28 on brownells. the steel assembly is ionbonded and has a slick finish for smooth operation, and the replacement springs are only like $8, as apposed to $16 for glock factory replacement assemblies for the g29, so it saves you money in the long run

once, i tried ISMI "chrome silicon" recoil and mag springs in one of my 1911's, and they were absolute garbage. been using wolff springs for 15 years. good stuff :)

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
for full power ammo, i use swampfox. it's full power and he uses quality jhp bullets (not that montana gold crap that doubletap and buffalo bore uses). double tap ammo falls up to 200fps short of it's claimed velocities too.

for cheaper range ammo, i've used the blazer aluminum the most. accurate stuff :)
You guys need to be careful with SwampFox ammo... Especially in a Glock 29... Don't go for his high powered ammo... it can... er... cause problems...

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You guys need to be careful with SwampFox ammo... Especially in a Glock 29... Don't go for his high powered ammo... it can... er... cause problems...
what do you mean, jb?

oh, are you referring to his 10mm ammo for aftermarket barrels only? he has a warning posted for those loads in all caps lol :)

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
what do you mean, jb?

oh, are you referring to his 10mm ammo for aftermarket barrels only? he has a warning posted for those loads in all caps lol :)
Check the PM I sent...

The SwampFox 200gr maximum velocity ammo is too hot for Glock 29's...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Check the PM I sent...

The SwampFox 200gr maximum velocity ammo is too hot for Glock 29's...
ok yep, i sent you a pm back. he did dial back his g29 200gr loads. he now has g29 specific loads in 200gr, and a warning not to fire the hotter ones in the g29: http://www.swampfoxgunworks.com/swampfox/home.php?cat=336

i actually had one of his 200gr case ruptures in my g29. couple small chips inside the frame and a bent trigger bar, mag catch, hot gases fried the top of the mag (scared the crap out of my friend that was shooting it at the time lol). no injuries, some hot gasses seared his trigger finger (i couldn't even see a mark).

mike was awesome about it! he sent me a new g29 mag, and $100 worth of 165gr gold dot 10mm, and a new ghost connector. i actually got glock to replace the trigger bar and mag catch, and safety check it for free. glock sent me a shipping label (i should get an award for that one lol)

it's not an issue at for any other weight, just the 200grn bullet, because the bullet is longer there's less area inside the shell for the pressure to expand so it jumps a lot higher. i'll be getting some of his 200gr glock 29 specific loads in the near future. :) i'm glad he dialed back the 200gr ones for use in the g29, i like that weight :)

it was NOT an overcharged load. it would have been much worse if that were the case. it was caused by a couple factors: improperly annealed top brass (he now uses starline), the fact that the g29 has slightly less case support than the g20, and the pressure of full power 200gr bullet loads :)

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
ok yep, i sent you a pm back. he did dial back his g29 200gr loads. he now has g29 specific loads in 200gr, and a warning not to fire the hotter ones in the g29: http://www.swampfoxgunworks.com/swampfox/home.php?cat=336

i actually had one of his 200gr case ruptures in my g29. couple small chips inside the frame and a bent trigger bar, mag catch, hot gases fried the top of the mag (scared the crap out of my friend that was shooting it at the time lol). no injuries, some hot gasses seared his trigger finger (i couldn't even see a mark).

mike was awesome about it! he sent me a new g29 mag, and $100 worth of 165gr gold dot 10mm, and a new ghost connector. i actually got glock to replace the trigger bar and mag catch, and safety check it for free. glock sent me a shipping label (i should get an award for that one lol)

it's not an issue at for any other weight, just the 200grn bullet, because the bullet is longer there's less area inside the shell for the pressure to expand so it jumps a lot higher. i'll be getting some of his 200gr glock 29 specific loads in the near future. :) i'm glad he dialed back the 200gr ones for use in the g29, i like that weight :)

it was NOT an overcharged load. it would have been much worse if that were the case. it was caused by a couple factors: improperly annealed top brass (he now uses starline), the fact that the g29 has slightly less case support than the g20, and the pressure of full power 200gr bullet loads :)
Just wanted to make sure you guys didn't end up with any of the problematic 10mm rounds... Looks like you are good to go...

Shoot safely my friend...

Reactions: GlockNewb

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
oh, and here's a pic of the frame damage that occurs when you fire full power 10mm through a glock with the stock spring, rather than a heavier aftermarket one that i referred to earlier:

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
thank you for thinking of our safety, jb! :)
You're welcome... We can't let the GodFather get blowed up!

oh, and here's a pic of the frame damage that occurs when you fire full power 10mm through a glock with the stock spring, rather than a heavier aftermarket one that i referred to earlier:
Dang...

That had to be a pretty big boom to scratch all that up... I'm sure you'll be watching for cracks...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a Glock 29 last week with the OD green frame. Can't wait to shoot the thing! Should I invest in an aftermarket barrel and springs if I want to shoot the Swampfox Glock 29 specific ammo? If so, can anyone recommend a brand of springs/rod and barrel? Thanks in advance for any responses!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I just bought a Glock 29 last week with the OD green frame. Can't wait to shoot the thing! Should I invest in an aftermarket barrel and springs if I want to shoot the Swampfox Glock 29 specific ammo? If so, can anyone recommend a brand of springs/rod and barrel? Thanks in advance for any responses!
congrats :)

yep, get the wolff assembly with either the 19lb or 21lb spring weight. if you shoot swampfox with the stock asembly eventually your frame will look like post#17.

you don't need an aftermarket barrel for the g29 specific 200gr 10mm loads on swampfox's site. the only loads on his site that you shouldn't fire through the stock barrel have a warning on the webpage not to, because they're loaded too hot for glock's loose chamber dimensions. let me know if you have any questions about a specific load, but they're carefully indicated on the website :)

glock uses the same recoil assembly in the g30 45acp, and it's great for that round and also the low power 10mm loads from the major manufacturers. however, it's not enough weight to keep full power 10mm loads from spanking the frame lol

the stronger wolff springs will also reduce muzzle flip significantly :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts