Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everybody use for ammo. and why? Range and field ammo. I assume are different. I purchased Winchester .40 cal. just for the price and practice but once use to the gun is there something better? Your thoughts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For range use, I tend to use the cheapest ammo locally sold. That tends to mostly be Winchester White-Box purchased at Wally World. There was a recent sale on WPA (steel cased) ammo (9mm) for ~$7.50 per box of 50 at Mills Fleet Farm. I bought 10 boxes and have shot most of that up. It is absolutely sh!t ammo. Great for FTL and FTF practice though. In my first mag, I loaded 10 rounds. I had 3 FTFs (1 stove pipes and 2 that just wouldn't feed) and 2 FTFs (click, no bang). I stick with Winchester now. Hopefully in the next couple months, I'll be reloading.

As far as SD ammo, I carry Hornady Critical Defense. I have had no problems with this ammo, though I don't shoot it much (too expensive)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I mostly use Winchester white box for the range. It is cheap and clean and accurate. However, it is 165 gr. in .40 S&W so I also mix in some Federal because it is also cheap and clean but is 180 gr. which is the same weight as my SD ammo. I want to make sure I practice with both since the flight path is different for them.

For SD, I use Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement 180gr. JHPs. I shoot it at the range periodically to make sure everything is good to go. I have considered trying the Hornady Critical Defense, so maybe next time I have to buy SD ammo I might give it a try.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are full of info. thanks. Every little bit is helping. That is, if I can remember it all! -Todd

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I reload, so the majority of my practice ammo is reloads of the same bullet weight and shape as my SD ammo. I do usually load practice loads with a lower power factor the my store bought, although I do load some stout stuff for comparable practice and fun.

Have you looked at online sources for ammo? I use both ammunitiontogo.com and sgammo.com and find their value and selection to be excellent.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Im with Ed reloading most of what I shoot. I used to get my ammo at a local LEO supply store. Blazer brass for 13.00 box. WWB at wallyworld as a backup. I carry Hornady CD.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wallymart must not be to bad for ammo. then... A while back I walking through the store and saw our county Chief Detective getting 40 cal. boxes outta their little firearms department. 30-40 dollars per 100 round is going to break the bank so I will stick with that and the police chief of my hometown is a friend so maybe I'll ask him what bullet he carries. I don't think that is too personal. -Todd

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wallymart must not be to bad for ammo. then... A while back I walking through the store and saw our county Chief Detective getting 40 cal. boxes outta their little firearms department. 30-40 dollars per 100 round is going to break the bank so I will stick with that and the police chief of my hometown is a friend so maybe I'll ask him what bullet he carries. I don't think that is too personal. -Todd
At the wallmart near me, I can get a box of 100 9mm Winchester White-Box for $22. Not too bad, but I'd like to start getting into reloading and casting to cut down on the cost even more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Usually WWB and BVAC fmj for plinking...range ammo when we need it. The G17 doesnt like PMC fmj...FTE and stovepipes
BVAC hollowpoints for SD...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Has anyone tried or use the Blazer aluminum case ammo ? I have had excellent results with it and even carry fmj loads for SD !

Walleye World has fair prices, Academy Sports Outdoors occasionally have sales that are a real good deal. As always internet/online sales are the best deal but you have to watch the S$H charges !

:cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night, took 2 full 13 rd. clips of Winchester Range/Targets 165 gr. down to my practice area. The first clip I shot closely at a couple pumpkin from a distance of 40-50 ft. and it did great. I used the second clip at high speed and jammed gun with a spent cart on my 3rd pull that never cleared slid and bound itself against the loading next round. Does this happen much? Was I firing it too fast. I cleared the spent cart. and return to fire the rest of the clip at a slower rate. That makes about 100 rounds threw it now.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
If this is a new "out of the box" pistol I would run a couple hundred more rounds through it and if the problem persists, it may need to be inspected by a qualified gunsmith.

Try a few different brands of ammo would also be an avenue to look at and if the problem does not re-occur, stick with the brands that cycle properly.

Did both magazines produce this issue ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No. 1st mag. was fine but I shot it at a slow rate aiming each shot. 2nd I actually tried to shoot fast (haven't done that before) so I knew it was possible. That is when the 3rd round through the gun jammed. Easy fix just that I wasn't expecting it to happen.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Can you remind us again what Gen GLOCK you are using? Gen 3, Gen 4, etc.. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Try rapid firing with the other mag and see if it experiences the issue, if not, you may have a feeding issue with the one magazine. Also I would try a different brand of ammo in the mag that is giving the issue and see if that replicates it or makes it go away ....

There are several variables to consider in an instance like this, short of an obvious problem like a cracked/broken extractor or such, it is going to be a process of elimination .....

Good Luck and let us know when you find it !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glock 23 Gen 3 150 rounds winchester range/target 165 gr. fired. New out of the box 1 week ago.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Even with commercial ammo, variances in combined overall length (COL) is common, especially with inexpensive target ammo. If you want to do the test again, take a minute to check the ammo for consistent length. one round too long, or even too short can hang up. New magazines also are a potential source of a feed jam... The springs sometimes need a little work to settle in.
Also, when firing extra fast, the chance of poor grip increases. Make sure the "platform" is solid so the slide can cycle correctly and your G23 should be faster than you.
.40 cal is snappy, so the chance of a recoil induced jam is certainly a possibility...

Reactions: NWGlocker

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Good info !

As a reloader I should have caught the OAL angle ......

A strong firm grip is very important in proper cycling of the slide as well.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I check all my factory ammo if/ when I buy it. With it still in the tray it comes in take a straight edge and lay it across each row of shells. Tall ones will cause the ruler to ride high on the rest of them. I have found a couple out of several hundred rounds that I would consider a reject.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts