Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had to break a cardinal rule. My lovely wife decided it was time to pursue her anti-gun agenda. She decided that she did not want any firearms in the house (you know, because my 16 month old can crack safes) and attempted to lay down the law. I fought valiantly but because I love my wife and don't like the couch, I was forced into a compromise. I could have one gun in the house. At this point, my "arsenal" consisted of:

Ruger SP-101, Hogue grip, 3" barrel
Bersa Thunder .380
Ruger 10/22

Not exactly a collection but the beginning of one:rolleyes:.

Anyhow, because I have a CCP I decided that none of these weapons could fit the role of my "one and only". Off to the gun store I went. Once there I perused the rather large assortment of pistols and narrowed my choices to two: Ruger's SR9c and the Glock 19.

I asked the owner how much would I have to come up with on top of the trade of the three weapons listed above. He said that he could trade straight across for the Ruger. I knew that I was going to take a hit on the trade but, damn! I asked him about the Glock and was told that $100 would get it done. I came home with the Glock.

Despite the hype and popularity surrounding the SR9c (I was told they stay on the shelf for about a day when they arrive), I feel that I made the right decision. Glocks are proven. They are light weight. Parts and accessories are everywhere.

Since this will be my carry piece, does anyone have suggestions as to what kind of setup to use. I prefer IWB but I don't know how that will work out given that I'm used to the smaller Bersa.

Also, the gun has Glock night sights installed. Any feed back on how long they will stay bright?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I owned two 19's a 23, two 26's and a 27. I've carried all these weapons on the job at one point or another. Are glocks the only weapons I've carried at work, not in the past, but now all I carry are the glocks. Primarily the 19. The 23 was a bigger cal, but the 9mm just fits me better. Good choice. I have also owned a few of the newer rugers and I just dont feel comfortable staking my life on a weapon from a company that has been having so many issues and recalls with thr newest guns. The sr9, the lcp, etc. The glocks have been around and in use simce the 80's and have definately left thr mark. They have had thr issues too ( and i think a few minor recalls) but a long time ago and in my opinion have made up for it since. I'm a small guy ( 5'10" and about a buck 30) and I carry the glock 19 concealed alot. I like open top holsters for cc. There is a huge benefit to thumb snaps, etc, but i like open top holsters when off duty. Because of my size, I don't like holsters like galco's summer comfort and the similar bianchi model. The straps and snaps just stick out. The bianchi pro iwb with the steel clip is a nice iwb holster though it takes some practice to draw without pulling the holster with the weapon. I definately feel the weapon is more secure in a belt (owb) holster, but hard to conceal for me unless im wearing an army type jacket or long suit coat. I also sometimes carry my 19 in galcos cheap leather iwb holster in the front (kidney carry) but only if im standing most of the day. It can be a pain to sit with, but if I'm walking all day, (like a mall or zoo, etc) a loose t shirt covers it nicely. Also sweet having the weapon in front of you because if someone does spot it, its a little harder for them to snatch it from behind you. Plus, if you are in a public restroom, your hands are alot closer to your weapon if someone tries to ambush you when you are in an awkward position. When I do security details that are overnighters (requiring wearing a suit even on hot days, ugh) I use a miami classic shoulder rig. Simply because i can wake up in an instant, grab my entire rig and swing it on (regarless of what im wearing) and have my weapon and two mags at hand. I have even been on plain clothes assignment where i carried one 19 kidney carry and my shoulder rig with a t shirt and a baseball type jacket. Keep the jacket open to keep the coat waisband from giving away the kidney glock, and the baseball coats are kinda puffy which helps conceal the shoulder rig a bit more. Just make sure that the coat stays at your side or your "cover" could be compromised. Kinda winded there! Sorry fo r the filler. Let me know what you decide to try out.Oh, depending on the manufacturer of the ns, they should last 10 years give or take. If they are green. The yellow and orange ns die sooner. The gree may start going dim after 6 or 7 years tho.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Good choice going with the Glock. My father in law bought a Ruger sr9c and had to send it back to Ruger due to a pin falling out. And he had never even shot the gun yet. I tried to coax him into a Glock, but to each his own. I carry a G19, G23 or a G26 in a Crossbread Supertuck. Its by far the most comfortable holster Ive had. I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 that I carry in a Galco summer comfort that Im getting a little more use to after carrying a bit. The Galco rides a little higher than I like, but Im gettin use to it. As for the night sights, they say that theyll last 10 yrs but Ive found its more like 8ish.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I realize that this is probably done and over with but ... man, that shop owner is ripping you a new one .. along with your wife. Try to get her to hold on till you can get these weapons sold. Then Join GSSF and pick up a discounted Glock 19. The 19 is the best CCW you can own. If she won't wait till you can sell them ... then tell her to kiss your ... well, you get the picture. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.