Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been posts that touched on this topic previously, and I did a search but was unable to find the one I wanted with a particular illustration.

One of the reasons I replace the sights on new Glock pistols with aftermarket sights is that I cannot get a good sight picture with the standard Glock polymer fixed sights. Instead of seeing the full dot on the front sight, I only see the top part of it, when the sights are properly aligned.

Here is an illustration:

Sight Pictures.jpg

I have two questions for those of you who read this post.

1) Do you see what I see with standard Glock sights? I am NOT saying that everyone sees this, but I can report that with my eyes, this is what Glock factory sights show me.

2) Have you ever done anything to modify the Glock sights to correct the sight picture?

A couple of weeks ago at a match, I overheard some very good (USPSA Master) shooters talking about getting ready for a GSSF match, and the problem with using standard Glock sights (even though the rules don't require it). One guy described the same sight picture problem that I experience, and mentioned that he always shot low with standard Glock sights. His solution for both problems was to shave the top of the Glock front sight, to bring the dot up and to bring the bullet impact up.

Has anyone else (a) ever heard of this, and (b) ever done it?

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Chris, I think some one sells a blank front sight for Glock pistols. You install the polymer sight, file to the height wher your POI and POA are good, measure the "new" height, and order the corresponding sights. I have replaced the front sights on several guys Glocks with fiber optic sights with great results. Usually the F.O. Hi Viz sights are .180. The factory height is .160 on G17's, G21 are .178? Remember your combat pistol training? Front sight, front sight, front sight! Sir! Yessir! Yes I do have the bottom sight pic. I just raise the front of the gun til I see the whole dot resting in the rear notch. I hope this helps. Dang it now I gotta go try my G17! Again! Later dave

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Morning, Chris--

Yes, I remember seeing that on my polymer sights of the G17. That was before I switched it to steel sights.

I'm assuming the "do see" picture is when you're at full arm extension. For me, the only way I could get the "should see" sight picture was to bring in the gun closer to my eyes: half-extension or closer. In other words, I had to reduce the distance between the gun and my eyes by half or more. By getting the gun closer to the eye = bigger FOV through the rear sight = more front sight in view.

One question-- did you notice any difference in the sight picture between a longer sights like the G34, versus your G26?

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morning, Chris--

Yes, I remember seeing that on my polymer sights of the G17. That was before I switched it to steel sights.

I'm assuming the "do see" picture is when you're at full arm extension. For me, the only way I could get the "should see" sight picture was to bring in the gun closer to my eyes-- half-extension or closer. In other words, I had to reduce the distance between the gun and my eyes by half or more. By getting the gun closer to the eye, bigger FOV through the front sight = more front sight in view.

One question-- did you notice any difference in the sight picture between a longer sights like the G34, versus your G26?
Good morning!

The "Do see" picture is at full arm extension. Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing this particular problem on a G34, probably because I swap the sights immediately. Good point, though.

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Howdy again Chris, 10-8 Performance sights has the sight tool which is a plain black polymer blade. Then you file the blade to the height to get POA & POI. I have a couple Ruger Blackhawks that I have adjustable sights on the rear, I cranked the elevation DOWN, then I filed the front sight down til I got the POA & POI the same. This works for the handload (only) that is "your pet load". I can remember my old uncle's shooting they're old Colt peacemakers. Pop had a pistol given him by his long-time friends widow. It was a 7 1/2" Colt made in 1893. I can remember Pop filing down the front sight til "I got er jist rite"! When I grew up and learned about guns I realized "Pop" shot the same ammo for years. He didn't have to aim, and could shoot off-hand or "snap shot" shootin at will. I have my revolvers set so I can shoot to POA. I have to remember how to shoot every pistol and I can't remember that well, sometimes. Hope all this helps. dave

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave,

Thanks, I didn't know that part was available from 10-8. They make some interesting stuff, I've bought several tools from them this year.

I'm not concerned about getting a different front sight, what interests me is finding out how many people see the same sight picture I do, and there are a number of us.

As for fixing it, my usual approach is to just replace the complete set of polymer sights with a set of steel sights (fixed rear, fiber optic front, like this:528-017 Sight/Warren Tactical/SetFix/Glock/ Blk Sevigny Carry Rear/Opt .215Tx.115W Front Detail Page) from Dawson, and put the Glock sights in a box. But overhearing a conversation about actually filing down the front sight to adjust the sight picture and the point of impact interested me.

The next Glock I buy will keep the polymer sights, at least until I've filed the front down an experimented with it a bit.

Chris

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
I only see the front sight ... With that being established, since putting the fiber optics on, (green rear red front), I do see the dot !

·
Registered
868 Posts
This is a timely thread, I also see your "What I do see" sight picture. I thought it was only me.
I've wondered if my "low left" shooting has been compounded by not getting the front sight's dot lined up properly
even though to do so does not make "equal height". I recently blacked out (sharpie) my rear sight to lessen the
blurr I sometimes see from the white lines and white dot.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
65 Posts
On glocks, when you "build a castle" with your sight blades (all blades level, all the way across), I see a 3/4 dot. Other sights aren't like this for me, but glocks are for some reason...and it works. Ever since i discovered that sight picture I shoot better

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm not concerned about getting a different front sight, what interests me is finding out how many people see the same sight picture I do, and there are a number of us.
Brand new out-of-the-box G19 Gen 4 shows the identical sight picture you see. My solution is a set of Meprolight, TruGlo or Glock factory night sights ASAP.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Chris, in your illustration of "what I see" and "what I should see", I see significant difference in
the top of the front sight post and the dot. What should I see? This is an interesting post, and
by the way, my eyes don't see like they have in the past.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chris, in your illustration of "what I see" and "what I should see", I see significant difference in
the top of the front sight post and the dot..
When I get the top edge of the front sight aligned with top edge of the rear sight (equal height) and the front sight blade centered in the rear sight notch (equal light), what I see is the bottom half of the dot on the front sight being obscured, that's the best way for me to explain it. On other guns with similar dots on the front sight, I can see the entire dot.

Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
First thing I do with a new Glock is put on a set of Mepros, so I honestly can't remember what the stock sight picture looked like to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Due to the grip angle of Glocks the slide is slightly angled up to me in my natural shooting position. Therefore the front site is the first thing I see when I draw and put the gun on target. I combat shoot mostly these days not target shooting so perfect perfection is not what I'm looking for. I speed shoot mostly and I shoot very tight groups but they're all about 2 to 3 inches high.
Pretty much any Glock I pick up

1 - 20 of 70 Posts